The Bingham Building was constructed in 1926 as a Mechanical Engineering Laboratory. Through many renovations and additions, the building currently houses various engineering teaching and research spaces.
The project space, located on the first floor, houses the labs of two principal investigators focused on cell and protein engineering. While each have a specialized, individual room, most of the area is a common lab space. Here, there is a gradient of ownership between each end of the space with commonly shared items located around the center.
Three of the four chemical fume hoods are located on the corridor wall to maximize face clearance and usability. Other shared equipment, such as the autoclave and cold room, are centrally located. Under-cabinet lighting is placed under the electrical raceway to reduce shadows and allow the adjustment of shelving. A shared office is located adjacent to the main laboratory space.