Fair Lane, the 1,300-acre estate of automaker Henry Ford and his wife Clara, was their private residence for 30 years beginning in 1915. It is constructed of rough-hewn Ohio Marblehead limestone in the Tudor Revival/Scottish Baronial style combined with the modified progressive Prairie style. The site includes a working farm, a man-made lake, extensive rose and peony gardens, a greenhouse, stables, agricultural research facilities and power house created during their residency. Historic Ford Estates now owns the property and operates it as a house museum.
Our historic studio’s involvement with preserving this National Historic Landmark property began with the restoration of Mr. Ford’s Field Room. A Cyclical Maintenance Plan was also developed for the Manor House and five of the 12 other principal structures on the site. Our team assisted with stabilization of the original Pony Barn and completed a due diligence report and conditions assessment of the site and structures utilizing TPAS® technology, helping to direct on-going maintenance and restoration efforts.