First Congregational Church of Akron, built in 1910, is a massive Richardsonian Romanesque-style masonry structure with crenellated towers, varied masonry textures and uniquely patterned stained-glass windows. Designed by the architectural firm of Charles Henry & Son, the interior follows the innovative “Akron Plan” which features classrooms radiating around a rounded sanctuary.
Our historic studio first developed a master plan for the church’s growth and improvements. The initial phase implemented an exterior restoration of the historic slate roof, copper cladding, and masonry. The team reopened two domed skylights and revoiced the tower bells. During the 12 months that the pipe organ was in Quebec to be restored, restoration of the sanctuary was completed.
Interior services included restoration of decorative stencils, plaster molding and incredible oak wood work as well as assistance with furnishings, and restoration of stained glass windows.